Wednesday, March 17, 2010

30 Days of Hearing -- News

The sounds today were the sounds of news -- expected and unexpected. Arising this morning, I heard the local and national news on television. Among the highlights of the local news was the annual dyeing the Indianapolis canal green for Saint Patrick's Day. While I am glad that the Irish have their day, I wonder when we Quaker's are going to have day -- and if we do, will they dye the canal grey?

In national news, of course, is all the hubbub and humbug around the health care bill. On and on and on and on and on. The Republicans say this; the Democrats say that. Both vilify the other.

Arriving at work I heard news from my co-workers -- about visits to the doctor, movies that were watched, and plans for the day. Then during the day, I heard all sorts of news about a new purchasing plan we are thinking about, the safe arrival of a new camera at one of our offices, letters that needed signed, a new way to ... Well, it's sort of boring to list, but was important stuff at work.

I also received email and telephone calls giving me news -- a friend's new project with liturgical arts, the possible good change in another friend's job, a new picture of me being posted on Facebook, and so on. Some of the news was good; some was sad; some was tragic.

Of course, I liked hearing the good news much more than I did hearing the bad news -- especially the bad news involving my friends. But all the news I heard today in some way connected me with the wider communities of which I am a part -- my friends, my co-workers, my city, my country, my world. Some of the stories moved me to pray -- prayers of gratitude and prayers of supplication. And praying is something I always need to do more of.

As I thought of all the news that had come my way today, I was reminded of the best news -- the Gospel. "That God so loved..." And ultimately, that's the news I most needed to be reminded of today. That God loves -- not just me, but my friends, my co-workers, and all the people that populate this big blue marble. And that is good news, indeed.

-- Brent

No comments: