Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Taste and See -- Day 10

Duck. That's what I had for dinner. Now I must confess, that in spite of what I wrote in my earlier blog, I did not go buy and fix duck for myself. I forgot I had errands to run tonight -- but when I remembered that, I also remembered that those same errands would take me close to one of my favorite eateries. Well, sorta close. Well, within five miles or so.

So off to Zydeco's I went. There was the usual understated greeting by Deb and the warmth and civility of her son Terry, who was waiting tables that even. Deb told me that Carter had prepared duck tonight. Yum. I love duck. And I love Carter's food -- so I knew I was in for a treat.

Indeed, duck over penne pasta with all sorts of other goodies. And Deb threw in a glass of organic vino (very healthy!). I was alone, so I pulled out the new Updike collection of short stories and had a very, very, very nice meal.

Then I remembered I was supposed to be keeping a taste journal. Yikes. So, being the Bible scholar I am, I turned to my handy dandy Bible concordance and looked up the word, "Duck." Which does not appear anywhere in the Christian Bible. Or the Hebrew Bible. I haven't checked the Book of Mormon or any other scriptures, yet.

Which did, oddly enough, remind me that while the Bible is a good rule for life, and profitable for instruction, and the stories of God's interactions with God's people, that it is not all inclusive -- either in its proscriptions for life or against sin. Because, if it were, Carter's duck over penne might have at least some reference therein.

The duck reminded me that God has blessed us in ways that are not spelled out in scripture -- and for that I can be thankful. I don't find ice cream there (sugar free or not), pie, steak, or any number of other tasty foods. Now, were I a literalist, I could say that means that God does not want me to enjoy these things. But since I am not, I see them all as part of the wonders He created and pronounced good.

As Genesis reports, "And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat ..."

I'll take the duck, please. ;-)

-- Brent

No comments: